Wondering what #DDAM is? Distracted Driving Awareness Month. Yes, it’s a national occurrence every April. This month The National Safety Council (NSC) and other groups are urging us to stop using cell phones while driving. Smart move if you ask me. The statistics are real, and the stories support better behavior. The experts report that thousands of deaths each year happen because people continue to use their phones while driving.
- 90% of all car crashes are caused by driver error (no surprise)
- 26% of all car crashes involve cell phone use. ( not just texting)
- Drivers miss seeing up to 50% of whats around them when talking on any kind of cell phone (news to me)
Three smart decisions we all can make every time we drive:
- Focus on driving.
- Recognize that hands free is not risk free.
- Understand the dangers of cognitive distraction to the brain.
Make it a rule – drive cell phone free! – Take the NSC pledge! Share the message with your followers and friends, #DDAM in your post on Twitter and Facebook. We might save a life, including our own! 🙂